The Low End Bass Studio offers upright and electric bass lessons for students of any skill level. Always wanted to play bass in a band or orchestra? Are you a more experienced bassist looking to fill holes in your knowledge? Want to learn to improvise effectively? Need help writing more effective bass lines? Want to learn how to transcribe bass lines that you love? Would you like to find more direction, interest, and inspiration in your playing?
What you receive with quality, high-level instruction at your upright bass and bass guitar lessons:
- Totally individualized lesson plans based on your skill levels and needs.
- Flexible pedagogy: Balanced lesson planning using multiple sources, an ever growing library of my own materials, exercises and compositions I have written for students, and transcribed songs for individual students that make learning more fun and interesting.
- Learning what you need to know using the styles of music that you enjoy playing the most.
- A balance of technical studies with musical knowledge like chord theory, scales and modes, etc‚.
- Emphasis on reading and writing musical notation and chord charts, effective construction of bass lines, improvisational elements of bass playing, and everything you need to know to be a more advanced, sensitive, and creative musician.
Hans Peterman is a professional double (upright) bassist performing and teaching in the Chicago area. He is equally in demand as an electric bass guitarist, anchoring rhythm sections in rock, funk, and jazz bands in recording studios and clubs around the city. Hans opened his music studio 5 years ago with the idea that he could combine his popular music experience with his formal classical training to make music learning fun and challenging for everyone from the Bach enthusiast to the hardcore rock musician. Hans teaches classical and contemporary music to students eight years and up. He specializes in adult learners, budding improvisers, young musicians, college-level music students, and coaching the self-taught on both bass guitar and double bass. In addition to teaching bass, Hans also specializes in mentoring and coaching combos and ensembles in rehearsal and performance, as well as teaching composition, song writing, music theory, ear training, and music history. You can find many of his students playing in orchestras and popular music venues around Chicago.